README: primordial documentation on booting from the external microSD card
2 years ago
1 changed files
Download Patch File
Download Diff File
@@ -136,7 +136,49 @@ sync
Booting from the external microSD card
* Insert the external microSD card in the ereader and boot it up.
* Get a shell on the device, either via Telnet, SSH or some sort of terminal emulator.
* On the ereader shell, mount the rootfs as read only and clone the internal memory into the external microSD card:
mount -o remount,ro /
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/mmcblk1
* Remount the filesystems with their default options:
mount -o remount,rw /
mount -t vfat -o noatime,nodiratime,shortname=mixed,utf8 /dev/mmcblk0p3 /mnt/onboard
* Remove the microSD card from the ereader and insert it into a computer with a microSD card reader.
* Extract the hardware configuration block from the microSD card. For example, on a GNU/Linux computer, assuming the SD card is at /dev/mmcblk0 (replace as needed):
dd bs=512 skip=1024 count=1 if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=ereader.hwconfig
* Use a hex editor to change the byte at offset 0x3F (63) from 0 to 1:
printf '\x01' | dd of=ereader.hwconfig bs=1 seek=63 count=1 conv=notrunc
* Write it back to the microSD card
dd if=ereader.hwconfig bs=512 seek=1024 of=/dev/mmcblk0
* Proceed with the installation as documented in **Installation on the internal microSD**.
* Hold down the power and backlight buttons while booting until the LED is blinking to boot from the external microSD card.
Notes for developers